Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Beginning of Happily Ever After

      I don't like coming into the story in the middle, so I thought I would take a little time to tell the back story. After high school I went to college to study to be a teacher. I dated one other guy during the beginning of college but ultimately he wasn't meant to be with me in the long run. After that relationship I decided to just focus on my studies and complete my program. Throughout those 4 and a half years I went to college full time, worked part time, and when I had any extra time spent time with friends who supported me through it all.
      After college I went straight into substitute teaching and continuing to work at my part time job at a library. During the week I put in a good 60+ hours a week working, this didn't leave much room for a social life. After I finished subbing for the year I decided that it was time to start getting to know some guys again. Where was a girl to meet potential future husbands though? Not being a gym rat or hanging out constantly at the bar (do these relationships ever work out anyhow? Oh wait, my Mother and Father in law met at a bar. :) ) there only left a couple of choices. I could just peruse the grocery story, or go online. I had a few friends and family members meet their loves there, so why not give it a try.

      Fast forward almost a year and a FEW weird and awkward dates later I responded to a message from a young man with some weird selfies on his profile. I learned from a very young age to never judge a book by its cover, so this man and I started conversing. A week and a half later and tons of messaging conversations about everything under the stars I agreed to meet this man for the first time.

We met at the local Red Robin restaurant (always meet out in public for the first time! check ID too) on a school night for the first time. After introductions and checking his ID, to make sure he was who he said he was, we spent the next 4 hours discussing anything and everything we could think about. At the end of the evening I agreed to meet this guy again!

We dated throughout the next month and then we spent our first summer going to the beach, golfing, going to the drive in, and whatever else we could think of. I was pretty sure that I had met the man I would spend the rest of my days with (though I didn't tell him that right away).

Fast forward 7 months. This would be our first Christmas together. We had already survived many other firsts and this guy had become my best friend and confidant. He saw me through a wisdom teeth removal, a major move and shift in life, helped me finish my year year of teaching and start my second, and much more. The weekend before Christmas we threw a Christmas party for both of our families so they could meet. This dinner couldn't have went better, well, except if it had ended in an engagement. My thoughts were, "Wow, wouldn't this be an awesome time to get engaged with all of our friends and family here." That night I was a little upset, and I may or may not have let Kenny know it. I just claimed, "I am so ready to be married, and I just don't know when it could happen now." He reassured me that in the next 6 months he would ask me to marry him.

About 4 days later I came over to his house one evening because it was Christmas break and we were going to spend the evening together. He informed me that he was going to cook dinner for us that night and also wrap some of my Christmas presents at the same time. So he went about a big show of putting up a curtain so I couldn't see into the kitchen from where I was in the living room.

About an hour later I was invited into the dining room with candles lit and a wonderful dinner. This was nothing out of the ordinary for us, we had an enjoyable evening. We were then going to visit his mom but had to wait for her to get home so he suggested we play a game of scrabble, one of our favorites. We played the game and had a wonderful time. After the game he sent a text message but it still wasn't time so he suggested looking at the photo album we had been compiling since we met. I said okay and we went down memory lane. Near the back of the album I noticed he has printed our pictures from the dinner party the previous weekend and I thought that was weird and then saw there were pictures on the next page. I thought to myself, "How can there be more pictures?" So I turned the page to see 4 new photos of him standing in special places of "ours" holding signs asking, "Will you Marry Me?" Before I knew it he was down on one knee asking me to be his wife. I was completely shocking and surprised, and said, "Yes." A few days ago I thought I was going to have to wait another 6 months, not 4 days. I was the happiest girl alive!

We spent the next 11 months planning and preparing for our wedding but more importantly for our marriage! It was important for us to set a firm foundation for our future. Our faiths would be brought together and we would forever become one. We were both so excited for this! One Saturday, November 10, 2012 we said those vows and have never looked back.

This blog is meant as a testimony of our faith in Christ, our marriage, and endurance through everything that makes live interesting! I want to share many aspects of this journey in hopes of enriching, encouraging, and entertaining others!


One of the happiest days of my life yet!
~Amy





No comments:

Post a Comment