Thursday, June 12, 2014

HSG Test (TMI) and not waiting any longer!

It has been over a month since I last posted. There were several times where I was about to type a post but it would have been something to the tune of....still waiting for AF (Aunt Flo/Period) day 35...still waiting for AF day 40, many negative tests, still waiting for AF day 45, etc.

After 48 days of neither positive pregnancy test or the other option I couldn't take it any more. I called my fertility clinic and they called in meds to start my cycle over. Of course the nurse informed me that I would take the pills for one week and it could take up to two weeks after the pills for the period to actually begin, she also added, "some ladies only take 3 days of the pill and start their period." Surely, it would take the whole time for mine to come, and did minus 2 days.

Throughout that 3 week wait for an already over 2 week late period I prayed and prayed that the Lord's will be done, I actually prayed that He would bring me my period...seems silly. So, finally the period came and I called the doctor's office to schedule my HSG test and ultrasounds to monitor my eggs after taking ovulation stimulating meds.

Fast Forward 7 days to my HSG test. I had to go in today (the last day of school) at 8AM for this test. I was told I had to be at the hospital 45 minutes before my procedure began to register. In my fashion I arrive 50 minutes before the procedure was scheduled to begin. I am registered within 10 minutes and I sit for another 40. I had every positive thought and told myself I wouldn't be a horror story of this test like others I had been told.

Once going back to the procedure room I dressed in the gowns and then went to the lab. My reproductive endocrinologist (RE) had came to be part of my procedure, I thought it would just be techs doing the procedure. It was comforting to know that the fertility center is that involved with their patients. Little did I know what should have taken 10 minutes took 35.

(TMI: Don't read if you don't like details) Basically the catheter kept coming out of place and had to be replaced about 10 times and the dye had to be inserted 3 times. Each time the each had to be redone killed. The ladies who were doing my procedure were very supportive while I struggled to keep my composure.

Results:  My doctor thinks that they had so much difficulty because there might have been some blockage in my tubes, but eventually they got the dye to go all way through so my tubes are clear. The alternative if this procedure didn't work would have been surgery. Also, after women have this procedure their chances of pregnancy are slightly higher because everything is kind of cleaned out.'s hoping this is our month!

Next week I go in for monitoring ultrasounds to check the size of my follicles, I am hoping they grow, grow, grow...and that there are many of them! Then, we need to decide to do an IUI or try the "natural" way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment